News : if you like the following pictures, please note that an exhibition dedicated to Steve McCurry will be held in Thonon-les-Bains from November 12th to January 14th.
1. Comment on a photograph
a. Consider this photograph of a young girl.
- Have you ever seen this picture? What do you know about it?
- Can you imagine who the girl is, where she lives, how she lives etc?
- What impact does it have on you? Why? Use « It makes me feel… » in your answer.
- Describe the expression on her face. Can you imagine why? Use « She looks + adjective / She seems … as if… / She might have + PP…
- Make a list of feelings in the process.
b. Now consider her 2002 portrait.
Source : Steve McCurry, for National Geographic, 2002
- Describe the expression on her face in the 2002 portrait.
- Compare her 1985 and 2002 pictures. Can you imagine her life between the two photos?
Use comparatives, the past, » may have + PP »…
- Can you imagine her life now? Describe a typical day for her.
Use « Perhaps she… She may/might + BV…«
2. Understand the text.
Imagine the information you will find in the text from this brief introduction :
Her eyes have captivated the world since she appeared on our cover in 1985. Now we can tell her story.
b. Read the text twice.
Your browser does not support iframes.
You can read the original article online here.
c. Now do the following tasks.
1. Gather basic information about her (name, age, where she lives, family…)
2. Make a list of people refered to in the text, then explain who they are to the woman.
Events & time
3. Scan the text in order to complete the time line with
- elements her life
- elements of Afghanistan’s history
4. Use the these elements to :
- explain why and how she went across the border
- describe her life in 1985
- describe her life now
Deciphering unknown vocab
5. vocab work : guess from context, deduce from structure. Fill in the grid.
6. Account for the importance of religion in her life.
7. Does she see hope in her life?
8. Highlight all the descriptive passages in the text. Study the way the girl/woman is described.
Does the writer link the description to the story of her life? How?
9. Explain the feelings she showed in the photographs.
9. Explain why the 1985 picture is so strong and meaningful.
In the « portraits » and ‘Afghanistan » « galleries » section of Steve McCurry’s website, choose the portrait of an Afghan child, woman or man.
Your mission is to write an article for National Geographic magazine about this person, trying to imitate the style used in A Life Revealed. (300 words)