Space & Exchange // The Idea of Progress
Man vs Machine : Interactions and Limits
I am going to participate in a family discussion on the pros and cons of new technologies and of having a humanoid robot at home !
- I will learn how to understand contemporary interviews on the evolution of technologies.
- I will learn how to understand trailers.
- I will learn how to read a short story and short cuts – I will be able to identify:
- the setting/the characters, their relationships and feelings
- the chronology of events
- the main theme(s) / message(s)
- the point of view adopted by the characters / narrator / journalist
Speaking WITH the group:
- I will learn how to present and comment on a document I have read linking it to the notions studied.
- I will learn how to balance the pros and cons of an issue to convince people who don’t agree with me.
- I will learn how to organise notes for an oral presentation.
- I will learn how to organise my ideas to build up a coherent plan for a written argumentation.
I will need the following tools
- SPACE & EXCHANGE:
- spheres and rules > private vs public
- school vs family,
- real vs virtual
- THE IDEA OF PROGRESS :
- evolution of technologies,
- science and mentalities
- the positive and negative impact of the Internet and New Technologies on people
- hope of a better future > the dangers & limits of the man-machine relationship
- ethical and religious issues raised by the topic :
- discrimination and oppression
- fear of the unknown
- values, rights and duties
- human and non-human
- verbs & phrases to express feelings and opinions
- debating >
- analysing & comparing
- agreeing & disagreeing
- proposing solutions
- tenses : past/present
- expressing the future
- making hypotheses / “if…” structures / wishes and regrets
- chronological and logical linkwords
- sentence intonation to express incredulity, shock, disapproval and determination