Power : where & how // The Idea of Progress // Space and exchange
Word Power and its Limits
I am going to participate in an eloquence competition. I will either urge my audience to act in the field of children’s rights or consumers’ rights, or warn them on the dangers of progress or media manipulation.
- I will learn how to decipher non-verbal communication and messages.
- I will learn how to understand speeches by famous historical figures.
- I will learn how to read and analyse cartoons and ads.
- I will learn how to read and analyse literary excerpts.
Speaking WITH the group:
- I will learn how to comment on cartoons and literary excerpts.
- I will learn how to participate in an eloquence competition.
I will need the following tools:
- scientific and technical progress
- social and family relationships
- environmental issues / impact on man’s life and future
- children’s rights
- media manipulation
- consumer society
- verbs of actions / opinion
- expression of feelings
- “if…” + “when …” structures
- “I wish …” structures
- passive form
- use of tenses
- reflexive pronouns
- word formation
- sentence intonation to express determination, incredulity, shock and disapproval
- pronouncing phonems
- mute letters