Myths & Heroes // The Idea of Progress // Space & Exchange
The Image in the Mirror and the Myth of Beauty
Our teenage child wants to undergo plastic surgery in a clinic because she/he does not feel good with her/his own image. The family participates in a TV show to weigh the pros and cons of such an operation before she/he finally decides to go.
- I will learn how to understand stars speaking about the secret of happiness and the role played by fame and social networks.
- I will learn how to understand scholars speaking about the role Victorian writers played in the evolution of mentalities.
- I will learn how to understand TV reports and interviews on plastic surgery.
- I will learn how to understand the strategies of advertising campaigns.
- I will learn how to read and analyse different types of writing such as
- literary excerpts
- web and press articles
Speaking WITH the group:
- I will learn how to comment on documents linking them to the notions studied.
- I will learn how to participate in a debate to weigh the pros and cons of undergoing plastic surgery.
I will need the following tools:
- an insight into Victorian values on women and children / evolution of mentalities
- social relationships / discrimination / punishment / teenage issues
- physical appearance and the cult of beauty
- pronouns / present tenses / adjectives and adverbs / modals
- WH- sentence structure
- expressing the future
- expressing wishes and regrets
- making hypotheses / “if” structures
- chronological and logical linkwords
- word formation
- main rules
- pronouncing –s and –ed at the end of words + words with mute letters
- sentence intonation and stress to express one’s views and feelings