the preterite simple is one of the tenses used to speak about past events
After winning the battle against Harold’s army, the Normans became the new masters of England.
1. They took all the land. They did not ask anybody.
2. The English hated the Normans, because they were so cruel.
3. The peasants had to work hard. They did not get paid much.
4. They hid in the woods. They tried to escape William’s soldiers.
5. Only a few were able to run away. They fled to Scotland.
6. Later they were caught and punished very hard, because they had broken the King’s peace.
7. Soon William was master of the whole country. He built strong castles everywhere.
C-We crushed the Saxons!
D- William defeated Harold at the battle of Hastings. His victory appeared in a tapestry in Bayeux (Normandy).
E-William set sail (ships and boats) on September 27th
F-“The sea is rough!, isn’t it?”
G- Our story begins in 1066. Harold Godwine became the last Saxon King of England.
H- In France, William, Duke of Normandy prepared an invasion, the great invasion of England.
I-The Normans wrote in Latin.
J-At Berkhampsted, the Saxons finally surrended to William the Conqueror.
K- King Harold died on the battlefield.
Bayeux tapestry relates the story of the invasion of England by William the Conqueror from the viewpoint of the warriors.
Match the dates with the events down below and write the verb in the past if necessary
|5th January (1)|
|6th January (2)|
|early May (3)|
|all Summer (4)|
|early September (5)|
|25th September (7)|
|28th September (8)|
|13th October (9)|
|14th October (10)|
|24th December (11)|